Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Closed Doors - kind of like "Doors Open", but different

So hopefully a few of you had a chance to take in some of the great places on offer for Doors Open this past weekend. If you didn't, one local blogger, West End Dumplings can give you a little insight on his Saturday and Sunday right here. I was sad to miss out on the National Upholstery building - that looks right up my alley! I did make it the Sport for Life Centre, which I'm not gonna lie, I was pretty disappointed in. Don't get me wrong, if you need an office building with very little original character, they nailed it. It just seems to be a shame to have such a great outside and such a boring generic inside. The highlight for me was getting to go down a set of stairs in the back that still had the original banister.

So what is this Closed Doors I speak of? Well, this building isn't open to the public as such, but you could certainly arrange for a viewing. There is a property for sale in the North End, the former North End Bike Shop (forgive me if the name is incorrect - and if you have any pictures from it back in the day I'd love to see them, drop me an email!) or at least that's what everyone I show the picture to seems to exclaim.

So here it is:




So this gem is for sale and would make a great space for an artist or even another photographer and then we could kind of be neighbours! The link is here if you're more interested. But really, who would have thought that behind that shuttered exterior lies such a great space? Think of all of the stories that all of the buildings in this city could tell. Ok, fine, most of them would be boring, even in the older neighbourhoods and don't get me started on places like Lindenwoods (okay, this house might have a more interesting story than the others) but events like Doors Open or randomly trolling the MLS can show us a thing or two that we might not have known.

You're welcome for a post that did not centre on the return of the NHL to Winnipeg, but for the record, I hope they call them the Jets, I'm a bit nostalgic like that.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, who would have thought?! That is quite a beautiful space, and for $149K, not a bad deal at all.

    ReplyDelete