Thursday, January 13, 2011

Gone!

Procrastination has done me in again!

I've been waiting for years to snap a good shot of the Perth's sign on Main St., with its lovely mid-century modern wavy building behind it and beautiful glowing circles. I finally bought myself a nice DSLR as a Christmas present of self-love and now there the sign is, gone!

I forgot to ask the incredibly friendly lady who answered the phone when exactly the sign met its demise, but she did inform me that the lights hadn't worked for about two years and that it was a rented sign that was in a state of disrepair to the point of becoming a danger.

Now, I'm not generally one to try to rally the troops, but I'm thinking that perhaps a facebook campaign is in order - that's what people do nowadays right? You need Betty White on SNL, want to find out how many more people like an onion ring than a major pop star, all worthy causes I'm sure, but do they top needing the Perth's sign back? Not just a new sign either, I want to see either the original or something that would suit the fabulous building next to it.

Troops, what do we think?? Should we try and convince Perth's that they need to bring the sign back?

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great idea. Maybe they can melt down the metal from the Boyd Building sign and turn it into something nice to replace Perths' !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way-even posted a similar story on FB. Number 10 Architecutral originally designed the building, and no doubt had a part in the sign design as well. As a sign guy in the industry, it was easily one of the best in the city. It's a shame that both Perth's and the City of Winnipeg don't realize what has been lost here...

    ReplyDelete