Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Happy Birthday, oh, and some other stuff

It seems as though my little blog is a year old today (or yesterday if you want to consider its birthday to be the first Monday of the year). Oh how my little blog has grown, both in readership and writer longwindedness. I've really enjoyed the warm welcome that I've received in the little blog world of Winnipeg. I've been down to the U of M a couple of times to join the crew on WIP, and even managed to meet a few of the people behind the blogs. I finally gave up and joined "the Twitter" and I still don't fully understand the point of it, but it is good for filling my need for information overload (that previously I managed to somehow get by without, oh, 4 new tweets to read, be right back...)

My little blog and Twitter finally got an avatar thingy or whatever you call them, and oddly someone on the Twitter changed theirs to the same as mine, which I still don't totally get, but have decided that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and hey, I'm pretty awesome. Some people over at the FreeP thought I was interesting too and made me blog of the week and also wrote a piece that mentioned me. I would link to those, but since they were in the bastard-child Sunday editions no internet links seem to exist for them, which is probably for the best; I looked pretty cheezy in the accompanying photo. Nevermind that when I had my 15 seconds of fame on a Global program I looked like I have some sort of nervous tick.

So for a birthday present I gave my blog a package wrapped in the often bizarre, racist, fucked-up* comments section of the Free Press Website. *If you object to my use of the word fuck, please read this extremely well written article on what word should be used. If you object to me thinking that I am a "public figure" please see the paragraph above; clearly** I have been in the public eye. **This also demonstrates the continued need for a sarcasm font. In case you are wondering why I didn't give my blog a present it's because it's just dumb to give 1 year olds presents, all they care about is the paper, duh, haven't you ever given a kid  a present? I can probably get away with it next year too.

Now on to slightly less self-promoting and indulgent things. "My Sister's Closet" is an event coming up shortly that could use your help. They are looking for clothing and accessories for women of all shapes and sizes who are about to transition from a school setting to the workplace. I'm not sure exactly the gender make-up of my readership, but guys, let me tell ya, wearing clothing that you feel good in makes a huge difference to a woman. Not to say that it doesn't to a man, since I'm not man I don't know your take on it as such, but you don't have to be a genius to know that the social pressures for women to look a certain way are pretty overwhelming. So for all my local readers, tell a woman you know about this event - this is the time of year when everyone starts off fresh anyway, the perfect time to evaluate the closet.

4 comments:

  1. "bastard-child Sunday editions"... I LOLed at that. Perhaps a marketing slogan in the making?

    Sunday Xtra... it's the Free Press, but not really!

    For what it's worth, I saw the article and I thought that it was a nice profile of you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Winnipeg Girl Blog. I have enjoyed the read and will continue to do so.
    As far as the Sunday bastard-child edition, I have been able to locate my mentions in it. Search 'winnipegfreepress blog of the week'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on one year! I'm actually shocked, as I just looked and my own blog has been up for 5 and a half. I suppose I should have celebrated somehow. According to Wikipedia, for 5 years of blogging you get something made of wood, and for one year its paper or cotton. Or maybe that's weddings. Either way, I wish you continued success.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, they're out there .. just hidden a little bit: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/ive-solved-the-public-transportation-issue-126078348.html

    ReplyDelete